On 6th September, 2010, the Fellows and inaugural class of Morningside College held their first dinner together.
The inaugural class of Morningside College was selected from a large pool of applicants, each having undergone an interview for admission. These 72 students include:
- 20 JUPAS students, including 6 EAS students;
- 22 other students from Hong Kong, including 4 Non-JUPAS Direct EAS;
- 19 students from Mainland China, from 15 different provinces/cities; and
- 11 international students from China, Taiwan, Korea, Russia, Singapore, Thailand and USA.
Having studied in Hong Kong, Canada, China, England, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, United Arab Emirates and the USA, they have been admitted to 30 different degree programmes across the seven Faculties of Arts, Business Administration, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Science and Social Science at the Chinese University.
Among these 37 men and 35 women, we welcome:
- artists and performers (animation and film makers, calligraphists, choral singers, dancers, debaters, dramatists, journalists, painters and sketchers, singers, toastmasters, writers and a circus performer);
- composers and musicians (playing the drums, erhu, guitar, oboe, piano, saxophone, trumpet and violin);
- designers, inventors and scientists (Olympiad winners in Chemistry, Informatics, Mathematics and Physics); and
- sportsmen (in badminton, basketball, football, handball, karate, ping-pong, running, rugby, softball, squash, swimming, taekwondo, volleyball, and chess).
They have also devoted their time and energy to serving others with the Red Cross, UNICEF, Habitat for Humanity and other non-profit organizations, helping the needy in developing countries in Asia and Africa, volunteering their time in relief work after earthquakes and other natural disasters, and working for environmental, medical and other causes to better our world.
Through 3 days of orientation, they have already made new friends across cultures. We look forward to their joint effort in establishing the Morningside community. Morningside College is delighted to welcome these energetic, gifted and award-winning young men and women to its inaugural class!