Professor Sir James Mirrlees (5 July 1936 - 29 August 2018)
It is with profound sadness that we announce that our College Master Professor Sir James Mirrlees died on 29 August 2018 at home in Cambridge. As the founding Master of Morningside, Sir James was responsible for creating the buildings and programmes and for admitting our many wonderful students. He was proud of Morningside and of her fellows, members, students and staff, and was fully committed to the idea and value of a residential college.
A funeral will be held at the University of Cambridge’s Trinity College Chapel on 14 September at 10:30am. At an appropriate time afterward, we will arrange a memorial service to honour Sir James' life and commitment to Morningside College and The Chinese University of Hong Kong. In the meanwhile, we will remember him fondly and work hard to honour his legacy.
- Financial Times, James Mirrlees, economist, 1936-2018
- Herald Scotland, Obituary - Sir James Mirrlees, influential economist
- Institute for Fiscal Studies, In Memoriam: Sir James Mirrlees (1936-2018)
- Nuffield College, University of Oxford, In Memory of Sir James Mirrlees
- The Scotsman, Nobel Prize-winning Scottish economist Sir James Mirrlees dies
- South China Morning Post, Economist James Mirrlees, Nobel laureate and professor-at-large at Chinese University of Hong Kong, dies aged 82
- The Times, Professor Sir James Mirrlees obituary
- Trinity College, University of Cambridge, Tributes paid to Sir James Mirrlees
- The Washington Post, James A. Mirrlees, Nobel laureate in economics who studied taxation, dies at 82