Skip to main content
Main content start

Giving FAQs

Who can I call if I need help making a gift?

Please call +852 3943 4741 for assistance during Office hours Monday to Thursday (HK Time: 8:45 – 17:30) and Friday (HK Time 8:45 -17:45).



What kinds of gifts can I make to Morningside?

There are many ways to give, and many kinds of gifts you can make to Morningside. You can make a gift online now with your credit card. You can make a gift by cheque. Morningside also welcomes gifts of securities.



In what areas does Morningside need support most right now?

Morningside is currently seeking support to continue its highly successful Distinguished Visitors Programme.



Can I designate my gift for a specific purpose?

Yes, you can direct your gift for a specific purpose or to support a programme that is meaningful to you. You can select from a list of priorities or indicate your preference when completing the online giving form or by calling the College Office at +852 3943 4741.



How will my donation to Morningside be recognized?

All donors will be recognized in the annual Morningside Master’s Report.



Will my donation to Morningside be listed in the University’s Annual Report?

Donations of HK$500,000 and above will be listed in the University’s Annual Report.



Will I receive a receipt?

An official receipt will be issued for a donation of HK$100 or more.



How long does it take to process a donation and issue a receipt?

Processing time may take up to two months from the date of receipt of a donation. If you do not receive your receipt within two months or need an expedited receipt for tax reporting purposes, please e-mail or call +852 3943 4741.



I lost my donation receipt. How do I get another one?

Please e-mail your request with donation details to



Do donations qualify for tax deductions in Hong Kong?

Yes, charitable donations of HK$100 or more may be claimed, up to 35% of a donor’s assessable income or profits.



Are international donations accepted?

Yes, international donations are welcome.



Do donations qualify for tax deductions in other countries (outside Hong Kong)?

Donations are tax deductible in the US and Canada with official donation receipts. For details, please refer to the University’s Office of Institutional Advancement (OIA) webpage. Consult with a tax professional to determine whether a gift from a country other than the US or Canada is tax deductible.



How might a US taxpayer make a tax deductible gift to Morningside?

The Chinese University of Hong Kong Foundation, Inc. qualifies under IRS Section 501(c)3 of the US Internal Revenue Service as a tax exempt organization. Cheques may be made payable to The Chinese University of Hong Kong Foundation, Inc. and mailed to the address below. Please also state your wish to support Morningside College and programme(s) to be supported.

The Chinese University of Hong Kong Foundation, Inc.

c/o GMA Foundations

2 Liberty Square

Boston, MA 02109




What is The Chinese University of Hong Kong Foundation, Inc.’s US federal tax ID number?




Can I make a confidential donation?

Yes, please check the “I wish my gift to be made anonymously” box on the the donation form. Your identity will remain confidential. 



Can I make a gift in honour or in memory of someone?

Yes, gifts can be made in honour or in memory of someone. Include honorarium/memorial information with your gift as follows:

For honorary gifts, include the name and address of the person being honored. The honored person will receive a notification letter that will include your name and the fund or programme the gift is allocated to.

For memorial gifts, include the name of the deceased and the name and address of next-of-kin. Next-of-kin will receive a notification letter.

Notification letters are usually sent within two months after gifts are received.

Gift amounts are not included in notification letters.



What is the difference between an endowed fund and an expendable fund?

An endowed fund is meant to exist in perpetuity, to support college operations, scholarships, or a specific college programme. These gifts are invested for the long term and intended to provide a permanent source of financial support for the College. Each year, a portion of the fund is paid out — usually about 4 percent —  and used for the purposes the donor and the College agreed upon when the gift was made.

Expendable gifts are used in their entirety during a specific period of time.



What is the minimum gift needed to establish an endowed fund?

A minimum donation of HK$250,000 is normally required to establish a named endowed fund.